Friday 28 March 2008

Web Development Tools

I don't like to be critical of developers who create programs which they then distribute at no cost but...
In making changes to our website I have been using a number of programs to help me. I have also at the same time been trying to make the website W3C compliant as well as improving our SEO rating.
One program I have been using suddenly without prompting started putting in a whole lot extra tags to do with base_target _top in all the 'td' tags, it has littered the code with empty 'span' '/span' and 'small' '/small' tags whereas other editors use 'strong' tags.
One issue that related to leaving untidy code around is that file sizes increase unnecessarily which impacts directly on download speeds.
Another program I have been using has a good tool to validate the code in the file. It advises about closing tags such as using in preference to and applies this to 'img', 'hr' and 'meta' tags. However it's own HTML editor strips these trailing \> closing references out of the code.
Come on guys - good programs but please test that there is consistency when you have finished.

No comments: