Tuesday 13 April 2010

Advice to those tempted to try Office 2010 beta - DON'T

As you would expect it is right that people like ourselves should keep up with what is new and up and coming.
We therefore felt that we should try out the Office 2010 beta products.
First if you are running a 64 bit machine and have 32 bit versions of Office installed you cannot install the Office 2010 64 bit version.
We installed the 32 bit product. We then tried to read out emails.
Our copy of Outlook 2003 would not run because of a corrupted file.
The beta version of Outlook 2010 initially would not allow us to read any of our existing emails.
Eventually we could read the existing emails but we could not send and receive mail - getting a message that this was not implemented.
We googled for this and found a lot in blogs discussing this problem dating back to November 2009 so why is it that Microsoft have not patched this and released it. One site did have a work round - install the beta, uninstall the beta, re-install the beta and then it might work.
Then it wanted something called Outlook Social Connector to enable interconnection between Hotmail, Facebook, Twitter and a whole host of products that I do not use nor want to use.
What I want is a good solid email client program that collects and send my email - I don't need all the rest, and if I ever do want a Facebook client I will find one.
At this point I informed Microsoft through their feedback mechanism exactly what I thought of this product and that it would be removed from my system.
I then ran a system restore to a point further back than the install. Luckily I have been able to get all my historic emails but all my contacts have been obliterated
So if you are thinking you should try the new Office 2010 beta product our advice is simple. DON'T.
I do not feel we can say it any better than that.
It is time for Microsoft to get back to providing good solid products not a load of fancy cradle to grave software that doesn't do what it is meant to do.

No comments: